Friday 11 July 2014

Smoke and Mirrors

If I am beautiful, then it is smoke and mirrors.
On level footing I may disappear
And you will never find me,
Never in ten thousand years.
Not here, not where the light
Of morning softness breaks
The cover of my long-drawn face,
Not where the sleepy and still silent
Art of rising peels the blanket off my studied grace.
I do not know what dreams my eyes might show
When I have not yet cleansed them of their candour.
The woman who awakes beside you is too much of me
That you might break upon her insolent affection.
If I am beautiful, then it is of the study
I have so carefully embraced
And bled into my smile, my footing,
And the way I breathe your name.
If I am beautiful then it is my chef d’oeuvre,
My great illusive act.
You cannot know its secret.
You cannot ever know how deep I’ve gone
Into this hapless helpless
Desolate defenseless
Ugly
Love for you.
My mirrors have begun to shatter
And if you call for me your care will cut
Itself upon my broken voice.
I cannot carry kindness.
It is hard enough
Trying to hold back the smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment