Wednesday 29 January 2014

Krystofiak

I was sitting beside the drawer in the doctor’s office
Waiting for my cue
This particular morning when out of the corner of my eye
I saw the roll of old white yarn
Waiting for warm hands
By the window.
That was in those six months when I hated doctors, when I thought
They would tell me only all the things I didn’t like to hear.
I was sitting beside the drawer where they kept the magazines
And papers
Somebody started to speak Spanish right beside me
So I pulled out my collection of bilingual Neruda
And read the poetry in Spanish
Perfectly positioned for the Spaniards
To admire.
They might have mentioned something about how cool I was
But I didn’t speak their language. So.

This was the morning I had promised my roommate
I would water the plants
And wash the dishes.
I didn’t notice until I got to the waiting room
That I’d been waiting
In a pseudo-pseudo kind of way
For an old man that was sitting next to me
(someone to compare my morning to).
The old man picked up that old roll of white yarn and started knitting.
He said to his friend Candace that it would one day be a scarf
For himself maybe
Or for any grandchildren that son of his might bring him
(Here I imagined his son, a watchdog
On all fours, bringing him squealing grey pups
By the napes of their necks).
There was something reluctant in his wrinkles,
That’s what fascinated me,
Some kind of doubt of age –
He was not going to sit here forever, waiting for the doctor
To tell him it was time to invest
In a good, solid coffin
And to start sending out invitations
Cordial Condolences
Et Cetera.
No,
This man had a pierced and piercing smoking-face.
Ash-grey eyebrows and dulled, porous skin
I guess worn thin from clouds of tobacco and
His eyes in perpetual drought from the embers they’d raised.
I tugged on my sunglasses and let them fall onto my nose
Only to watch the drought in his eyes
Lead him far, far away.
This was a day I thought that I was being sketchy.
He leaned over to Candace and murmured something about the rain
And trees
And the flag outside, you could see it out the window,
And the maple leaf.
He started to murmur things I couldn’t understand, not because of his
Clenched jaw
Or his accent
But because all the while he was spinning the white yarn
I hadn’t seen him carry in.
I don’t know if I only started listening because he mentioned hepatitis.
I wondered if that’s why his fingers looked yellow,
Or was it from smoking?
Candace stopped talking to him after a while and started flipping through Cosmo.
I wondered if she was trying to hide that she was actually just interested
In the how-to-please-your-man sections
Or if the classy fashion ads
Did it for her.
I wondered about hepatitis.
I wondered if the old man had learned how to knit because of a wife
Or if he had gone to jail
Or if he missed wherever he was from
So much that he had started knitting scarves
Just to smell the remnants of an old country.
He got up.
The nurse had called him Krystofiak.
Polish.
He wasn’t wearing shoes but old blue slippers
And I saw his squeaking, squabbling shower
The water flowing in bursts instead of torrents
Little algae growing between the tiles
And the bathtub bit of it unused
Because who wants to use the bathtub bit when it’s growing
Green.
I saw his toiletries, covered in a fine layer of dust
And a picture of his late wife on the counter
In the kitchen –
Someone to say good morning to.
I knew that feeling well because I’d put up,
Secretly,
A picture here and there of my brother from when he was little
And of the old maple tree in the front yard
Of my parents’ home.
Like my pictures, I imagined his were hanging off of
Scotch-tape
In the little crannies of his house.
Most of the time, he was alone
(I’m only learning now that this might not mean he was lonely).
Maybe Candace was his only friend he’d see for dinner sometimes,
And sometimes his son, the salesman in Nebraska,
A bit of a vagabond with an on-off girlfriend
Fresh out of rehab.
But she’s a nice girl and she’s Polish too
So.
I can see him walking through the hall with the paper, crisp,
And his cup of coffee.
He has to walk lightly because the walls are very, very thin
And the neighbours are very, very quiet.
Out of his window he can see the lake a little, if he puts on his prescriptions
And tilts his head enough.
It is blue and musical.
He remembers things when he sits down on the balcony
Because there is cement and cement is a lot like his old balcony
A long time ago in Warsaw.
He has an icon in the corner of his house.
The saint drawn on it looks out
To the lake
Without having to put on prescriptions.
Krystofiak shakes his own hands every morning      
To make sure there is one thing he still knows how to do
And turns the switches in his silent house
One by one,
So that he knows they all work.
Then he sits at the table to feed himself a dozen pills –
He counts them on his toes so that he knows
His toes
Are still there for him.
On Tuesdays Candace comes by.
Maybe she is his wife’s old friend,
Or a nurse,
Or a lover.
She is young enough to be his daughter.
On Tuesdays if she comes early enough she counts the pills for him
While he feeds her sweet-bread and coffee,
Offers to cook her eggs but she always says no.
“Look at the flag,” he says to her one morning
And they look at the flag
The landlords have hung on the pole
Where the old maple tree had been.
A week ago Krystofiak had spent three hours sitting in his lawn chair
In solemn mourning as green-shirt contractors
Sawed down that sick old friend.
“That’s funny,” says Candace but she has lost count of the pills
And Krystofiak keeps looking out his window,
Leaning in to see if he can smell
The maple leaf drawn on the flag
The way that old tree used to smell.
He rocks his head the way he thinks his grandma did
And, sing-song, prophesises
“When it rains, all of the flag-leaves will be drenched
And people will have nowhere to run but their concrete
Homes.”
Candace is still counting pills but her nails are too long
To grasp them without slipping.
Last night she drank a little too much whiskey
And to a trained eye this is clear
In her little droopy eyelids and the residue of black mascara
Clumped and solid
In the crevice underneath her bottom lashes.
Krystofiak does not notice any of these things but he does know
By the way she slips through all his pills today
That she’s been drinking.
Krystofiak knows these things from being sober
Three days out of seven
For twenty years before the advent of his new life
Cross the sea.
He never called himself an alcoholic but he knows
More clearly than a man should know
What mornings with long nails and pills and nagging wives and mothers
Can be like.
So he keeps quiet as his Candace counts his medicine a second time
(in secret he is also counting)
And talks about the maple tree
While really he is wondering if there will be a squad of green-shirt contractors
To saw him down too
When he gets sick enough.
This very afternoon I am having ice cream
With a girlfriend
On the patio of a little Kensington café.
We look up at the sky.
She puts out her cigarette and in that
I-am-young-and-reckless kind of way,

Breathes out, “It is blue and musical.”

No comments:

Post a Comment